Jeep Grand Wagoneer Could Be Scrapped - Grand Wagoneer Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jeep Grand Wagoneer Could Be Scrapped

In a report last week, Autoline Daily claims that Jeep is going to scrap the new Grand Wagoneer and they’re getting this tidbit from Auto Forecast Solutions, an automotive industry analyst company.

We were expecting to see the stretched next generation Grand Cherokee’s platform underpinning the Grand Wagoneer, but according to the report, Jeep can’t re-engineer it properly to support the larger body. Currently, the Grand Cherokee’s unibody platform is shared with the Dodge Durango, Mercedes-Benz's GLE and GLS SUVs.

The report is implying that the next gen Grand Cherokee will also be based on this platform, so if Jeep is unable to extend it to fit the Grand Wagoneer’s proportions then that would mean the Wagoneer is longer and wider than the Durango.

Of course, this piece of news is not coming from FCA themselves so it may not be true at all. Jeep has already put in a lot of thought when it comes to the new Grand Wagoneer, they have leaked renderings from a FCA dealer meeting and price estimates. Would be wasteful to just throw everything away and cancel the model.

What does everyone think?

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm not too sure if they're going to cancel it. I'm sure they can make adjustments, but the Durango is a pretty large vehicle. How much larger could the Wagoneer end up being?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I like to look at things from what the market is saying in term of what actually has been done and is doing well as well as where money is being spent for the not too distant future. Going with that, it can be easy to see how the Wagoneer can fit into the current full-size luxury SUV market. Just look how well the Escalade does and others like it. Then you have BMW coming out with an X7 and VW with a 7 seater.

There's some real logic behind pulling the trigger on spending hundreds of millions all the way to billions.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 01:29 PM

From that aspect, there's definitely more pros than cons that'll come out of spending the r&d money and what not to get this thing into the market. It'll have competition, it'll be darn great if they get it down properly, and it'll appeal to a good market. The people that'll have the money to spend on one are the ones that know what a Grand Wagoneer is/was. They'll eat this up.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 01:00 PM

So pretty much, from what I've been reading, it could just be a money issue. FCA spent $700 million in terms of retooling for the Wrangler in Toledo, and the Giulia and Stelvio is said to cost the FCA $1 billion. They may need to just hold off and make some of that money back and then throw the Wagoneer into prompt.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 04:45 PM

Fortunately them not making it isn't a big deal when it comes to what's best for FCA's bottom line. These full-size SUV's don't sell the in the sort of volume that lower segments do, obviously. Once sales of those other new products ramp up and cash flow starts coming in then maybe more confirmation of the Wagoneer happening will come to light.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWagon View Post
Fortunately them not making it isn't a big deal when it comes to what's best for FCA's bottom line. These full-size SUV's don't sell the in the sort of volume that lower segments do, obviously. Once sales of those other new products ramp up and cash flow starts coming in then maybe more confirmation of the Wagoneer happening will come to light.
So, what do you plan on doing for the mean time ? Buying something else new or just not in a rush and waiting it out until we get word ??
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 01:19 PM

Yeah I will probably buy a Lexus LX or something similar.

What I found out recently is VW is coming out with an SUV in this segment called the Atlas. So that's another indicator about the level of confidence in this segment.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 04:39 PM

I've seen talk about that as well, but I heard it was only coming in FWD if you got the turbo engine and that bothered the heck out of me so I struck that off my list. Too bad, I really liked the way it looks.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
absolutely still on the grill.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page